As the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) edges closer, we’re looking back on the five most significant stories during the lead up to its implementation. Read about GDPR’s impact on data security and find out how to get prepared with five steps to compliance.
What aspect of GDPR will have the biggest impact on you or your business? Let us know in the comments below!
How to get prepared
Are you prepared for GDPR? A company can take the following steps to help become GDPR-ready:
- Know the facts: GDPR is coming, so make sure everyone in your company is aware of the important components and are fully trained to comply. Examine what data your company has and who you share it with. Auditing your data will help you to understand how you can meet the terms.
- Privacy Information: Revisit the procedures governing how you inform individuals about personal data your company may be holding. Make amendments to those procedures as necessary to meet GDPR requirements.
- Individuals Rights: Verify your procedures cover the rights of individuals, including your processes for deleting or responding to a subject access request.
- Enforcement and Sanctions: It should be noted that GDPR will simplify enforcement for supervisory authorities and significantly increase fines.
- Consent: Data must be processed lawfully. There are many legitimate bases for processing personal data. However, most companies will use consent, contractual necessity, or legitimate interest as a basis for doing so.
Did You Know?
Webroot Security Awareness Training offers GDPR-specific compliance training modules to help ensure your employees are up to speed with the new regulations, in addition to industry-specific compliance courses. Learn more at webroot.com/awareness.
Look back on the five most significant stories during the lead up to the GDPR implementation.
Powered by WPeMatico